Been full time with GM since Sept 26th (started as contractor Feb 22). Thought I’d eat my own dog food. I don’t currently work on anything in GM cars, I’m working on the rider and driver Android apps for Maven Shuttle used for managing reservations for shuttle services on campuses.
Kristen is about to get her license so needing another car, decided to get Cassidy this car and let Kristen inherit the Kia Sportage. Didn’t even need to use my employee discount. Year-end 20% off offer was too good to pass up on this 2016 Buick Encore.
Here is there summary:
We looked at 54 pairs of maps across three cities (New York, San Francisco, and London) and found several significant differences:
- Apple Maps, on average, labels more citiesthan Google at every zoom.
- Google Maps, on average, labels more roadsthan Apple on nearly every zoom.
- For two-thirds of zooms, both maps generallyshow the same number of roads. For the remaining third, Apple almost always shows more roads.
- Both maps, on average, label a similar number of POIs—but have only 15% of their POIs in common on an average zoom.
- Both maps also prioritize different kinds of POIs: Google Maps heavily prioritizes transit, while Apple prioritizes landmarks. Apple also generally shows a greater number of POI categories on a given zoom—and shows twice as many restaurants and shops as Google.
I haven’t used my Macbook Pro from 2010 for the past two years. When I last used it, it was crashing all the time. I need to use it again so I got it fixed. It Needed a new Logic Board to fix a graphics issue (NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M driver was crashing). The hard drive and battery were dying. I got those three items replaced. The new hard drive came with Snow Leopard (10.6.8) the version that was on it before. I was going to upgrade it to El Capitan but thought I’d wait until I absolutely had to. I have a USB video adapter to allow me to plug in a second external monitor (only have 1 mini-display port). Drivers for the dongle are only supported up to Snow Leopard. I don’t like the version of iMovie that comes with Snow Leopard, that’s the #1 reason I would want to upgrade the OS, but I upgraded our other 2010 Macbook Pro 13in 7,1 to El Capitan and can do video editing on that.
Of course I lost my Boot Camp installation so I won’t be running Windows 10 on it anymore.
I don’t either! I don’t care if Kristen plays a sport in college either, I really don’t. It doesn’t mean that I rule it out though. Without going overboard, I want to prepare my kids and give them the opportunity to make whatever choice they want for themselves in regards to the college they attend.
My favorite comment:
“This idea that students have to excel at the highest level (with experience dating back to early childhood) is supremely flawed. If everyone is a black belt, fluent in Mandarin and the captain of [fill in the blank] sports team, how can one differentiate any of these children? I was an admissions director for a master’s program for a short while. I can tell you after reading hundreds of essays that your child isn’t special. He’s doing exactly what all the other applicants are doing. Exactly.”
Earns game ball with 5 interceptions.
Unconventional speech by Ben Horowitz at Columbia University