“Explain why music is an important part of our culture”
That’s the question that was to be answered by my six year TigerCub scouts in order to earn a music belt loop.
I thought I could spend a few minutes on the web and whip out a quick presentation for the boys. It was not that easy, actually, to locate the answer. I found this article titled “Benefits of Music Education” on an advocacy for music in school page.
I’ll have to submit a request to wikipedia for a page on “Music and Culture”
Here is my presentation resulting from my research. Remember, this is for six year-olds:
Why is music an important part of our culture (life)?
• Music can change your mood. It can make you feel good or sad or excited.
• Music can show your pride: Lake Pointe School Song.
• Music can teach us about how we live and about how others live. (Music is a way to understand our cultural heritage as well as other past and present cultures)
• Music is used to tell a story.
• People use music to teach and to explain things. (People use music to carry forward ideas and ideals)
• Music helps bring people together (Choir, clubs, bands, concerts)
• Music is a way for people to connect with each other (School song, Church)
• Music is about communication, creativity and cooperation (Kids programs-Lazy Town-20 times up, 20 times down, Military marches)
Update June 22, 2017: